30jul(jul 30)4:00 PM31(jul 31)11:00 PMBang on a Can and MASS MoCA present LOUD WeekendA fully loaded eclectic super-mix of minimal, experimental and electronic music.4:00 PM - 11:00 PM (31) 1040 Mass MoCA Way, North Adams, MA 01247
LOUD Weekend launched in 2019 as an expansion of Bang on a Can’s long-running Bang on a Can Marathon, multiplying that inclusive and ambitious programming from one day, to multiple
LOUD Weekend launched in 2019 as an expansion of Bang on a Can’s long-running Bang on a Can Marathon, multiplying that inclusive and ambitious programming from one day, to multiple days. The festival returns this year, and will conclude the 19th annual Bang on a Can Summer Music Festival at MASS MoCA, a professional development program led by today’s pioneers of experimental music for young composers and performers selected from an international applicant pool, which runs from July 12-29, 2021.
Full schedule to announced. Highlights of LOUD Weekend on July 30 and 31 include:
• WORLD PREMIERES by Terry Riley, Frederic Rzewski, Mary Kouyoumdjian, Sky Macklay, Theo Baer, Nathan Bales, Erich Barganier, Brandon Becker, Melika Fitzhugh, Brian Krock, Lila Meretzky, Christian Quiñones, and more
• The singular legendary Kronos Quartet perform TWO concerts – one each on Friday and Saturday – of brand new music (what else?!) including world premieres by minimalist godfather Terry Riley, Mary Kouyoumdjian, Sky Macklay, and more
• The electric Bang on a Can All-Stars perform Terry Riley’s Autodreamographical Tales, a wildly unique creation from one of America’s most iconic composers and the All-Stars’ forthcoming release on Cantaloupe Music
• Nathalie Joachim performs Fanm d’Ayiti (Women of Haiti), her highly praised tribute to three pioneering Haitian female musicians—Carole Demesmin, Emerante de Pradines and Toto Bissainthe—weaving together their voices, stories and traditional Haitian folk music traditions.
• Inspiringly inventive composer-performer Mazz Swift performs a solo set featuring her unique blend of avant-violin and voice
• A special 75th birthday tribute to acclaimed composer and teacher Martin Bresnick
• FEMENINE – composer Julius Eastman’s monumental fusion of minimalism and jazz-informed improvisation
• The late French composer Gérard Grisey’s rigorous, lush, and luxurious masterpiece Vortex Temporum, conducted by Brad Lubman
• Boundary bashing bassoonist Dana Jessen performs electro-acoustic feats from her recent recording of George Lewis’ Seismologic and her own Through a fragile traverse.
• Frederic Rzewski’s Amoramaro (World Premiere) and more performed by powerhouse pianist Lisa Moore
• THE PANDEMIC SOLOS – live world premieres of highlights from the 70 pieces commissioned by Bang on a Can for its eight online pandemic marathons, including premieres by Žibuoklė Martinaitytė, Jakhongir Shukur, Florent Ghys, Daniel Bernard Roumain, Jeffrey Brooks, Leila Adu, Aeryn Santillan, Anna Clyne, Dai Wei, and more
• Special guest composers Martin Bresnick, Robert Honstein, Shelley Washington, plus music by Bang on a Can co-founders Michael Gordon, David Lang, Julia Wolfe, and more
• Performances by Gregg August, Robert Black, Vicky Chow, David Cossin, Arlen Hlusko, Nathalie Joachim, Brad Lubman, Nick Photinos, Lauren Radnofsky, Todd Reynolds, Mark Stewart, Ken Thomson, plus
Camellia Aftahi, Andrew Anderson, Emma Antonides, Raina Arnett, Hansol Choi, Luke Ellard, Amir Farsi, Declan Hayden, Adam Holmes, Annaliese Kowert, Alexandrea Richard, Julian Velasco, Yifei Xu, Alexander “Sasha” Yakub, and more
30 (Friday) 4:00 PM - 31 (Saturday) 11:00 PM
1040 Mass MoCA Way, North Adams, MA 01247
MASS MoCA [email protected]